Heather in Rome

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. - St. Augustine

Thursday, May 25

St. Maria Maggiore Mission

Last weekend, the school had a two day mission at St. Maria Maggiore, one of the four major basilicas in Rome, and it was wonderful. I am constantly amazed by what happens when we go on mission.

Friday I met a 5 year old girl and her mom. The girl started hitting the bongo drum and strumming the guitar with me. It turns out that the grandma takes the little girl to church (she's evangelical pentacostal), but the mom is afraid of religion because her mom used to have exorcisms performed on her when she was little, stuff like that. I kept the little girl occupied while other missionaries talked to the mom. This little girl, Aida, was so cute. She knew the story of Jesus' birth and when I asked her if she wanted to repeat the Hail Mary after me, she said no but that she wanted to make one up herself. I don't remember what exactly she said, but the prayer was profound for a 5 year old who probably doesn't hear about the importance of Mary from her grandma.

Saturday an older man went before the Blessed Sacrament and put his prayer intention in the box and when he picked a scripture passage out of the basket, I could see it struck him. He went to the side of the chapel and started crying. Another young guy finally came into the church to pray for work after Jean-François and I spoke with him for awhile. For a guy who didn't seem interested in praying, he sure spent a lot of time in front of the Blessed Sacrament and later in front of the relic of the crib of Jesus. It is great to see.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Heather!

    Just wanted to say Hi! :D

    I was thinking about you the other day. When does your year in Rome end? Is it a full year from September to September?

    I'll be in Southridge for a least another year teaching, so I'm sure you'll have to stop by when you come back and visit my classroom.

    I'm glad that your hiking adventures helped you clear your mind. We miss you back home.

    ~Lauren (and Jason by proxy)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home